Monday, May 18, 2015

Going Coastal!

I suppose it’s not every day you tell someone that you’re quitting your job, leaving the only world you’ve known for the last 30 years, and risking everything to move to a tropical island. 
I first fell in love with Sanibel Island when I was 3 years old.  When I was a little bit older and could comprehend that a person could live anywhere they chose, I realized I wanted to live by the beach.  I have spent my whole life trying to fill the void that is there when I am not near the ocean.  I used to pretend that my uncle’s beach house was our house every time we’d visit; lying in bed at night wondering what it would be like to wake up every morning knowing the beach was right there.  When we moved to our new house when I was in high school, I put up a full wall mural of the beach right next to my bed, because that was as close as I’d ever actually get to waking up on the beach.  In my late teens and early 20s, I spent just about every weekend at the Jersey Shore, a 6 hour round trip drive.  I didn’t care about the time spent driving or the gas money; I did what I needed to do to be near the ocean. 

I figured that once I was older and married my compulsive desire to be near saltwater would wane.  I don’t know, maybe I thought my ocean obsession was a phase.  What happened was quite the opposite. I became infatuated all over again with Sanibel, doing anything to get there at least once a year.  Our entire apartment became homage to the sweet little island; “Sanibel North” if you will.  We spent so much money in airfare and hotels, we joked it would be cheaper to just move there.  Then one day, we weren’t joking anymore.

The hardest part by far has been announcing our plans to everyone.  Even though anyone who has ever met us knows that this was our dream, I guess nobody really expected it to actually happen.  My parents will probably never speak to me again.  Some of our friends have already begun treating us differently and saying things like “Everyone is leaving me.” And that’s when it hit me; very few people have just been genuinely happy for us.  It always comes back to “how will this affect me?” We as people have become so selfish and self-centered that all we can think of is ourselves.  Yes, perhaps you could call our move to the south selfish too.  I’ll admit it; it is.  I want to live out my dream before I’m too old, too disabled, too lonely or too sick to enjoy it. If wanting to be genuinely, truly happy is selfish, then so be it.  (End rant—sorry!)

For the most part, everyone that we’ve told is fairly happy for us, or at least good at pretending to be.   We seem to be getting “good for you” a lot. Most of the time it doesn’t even seem real as the words leave my mouth. Then I think, “HOLY CRAP WE OWN A HOME ON SANIBEL!”  We’ll be downsizing like mad and having a few yard sales.  It will be hard to say goodbye to the fish tank and fish we’ve had for years, and our vintage record player, and the antique dresser I lovingly spruced up last year.  But when you get down to it, it’s only stuff.  I want to live a life full of happiness and memories, not one that is centered around the things I own.

We plan to come back and visit family frequently, as Allegiant flies into the airport by home.  As a bonus, Allegiant also flies into Des Moines, where the rest of hubby’s family is.  And I realize that life isn’t going to turn into one big vacation just because we’ll be living on an island.  I have realistic expectations of our new life. Yes, we will have jobs and won’t be able to spend every waking moment on the beach.  But knowing that when I get home I’ll only be a 5-minute bike ride from the ocean will make any job more bearable. 

Are we crazy? Possibly.  Selfish? Probably.  Are we completely thrilled to live our dream? You bet. We might be a lot of things, but what we are for sure is lucky.  We had to go through some pretty awful stuff to get to where we are now.  We’re not rich by any means and we still put our flips flops on one foot at a time like everyone else.

I know not everyone will understand our decision, and I don’t expect them to.  I just refuse to sit back and watch life pass me by because I’m living the life someone else wants for me. 

I am overjoyed that in a few months, once things are wrapped up at work and we’re packed and ready to go, that we will be following our dream.  It hasn’t been an easy road to get here, and when I think of what we had to go though, it brings a tear to my eye knowing that we could turn a really bad thing into an amazingly good thing.  Dreams do come true, just not always in the way you expected them to.

And now, may I present to you... our glorious little yellow beach cottage! 

Home Sweet Beachy Home




5 comments:

  1. You are not selfish. Believe me when I tell you this. You are brave! It takes guts to live your dream. I'm a few years older than you and landlocked in NM. I also have a very strong pull, urge, desire, need to live at the beach. We cannot help it. Have you read Blue Mind? It explains the science behind our obsession with being near the ocean. I have to say it's even moved me to tears. Finally, there's evidence. Besides what I know to be true. I'm very excited and happy for you both to start your journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dianna,
      Thank you for the kind words! I will definitely check out Blue Mind, you have me intrigued!

      Delete
  2. We did the same thing in 2012. Moved down to the beach in FL from ND. Yeah. A lot of ppl didn't want us to go. But we did. And the last 3 years for us living in the beach has been amazing. We are getting ready to move. We bought our own pool home ...and yet we will still be only 30 mins from the big ocean. Love your dreams. Hv no regrets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did the same thing in 2012. Moved down to the beach in FL from ND. Yeah. A lot of ppl didn't want us to go. But we did. And the last 3 years for us living in the beach has been amazing. We are getting ready to move. We bought our own pool home ...and yet we will still be only 30 mins from the big ocean. Love your dreams. Hv no regrets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot believe how much we have in common! I just entered a giveaway on the maples mermaid page IG and saw your IG name and just had to check u out. My hubby and I have been visiting nw Florida between Pensacola and Destin since we were highschool sweethearts. And we knew from the very first time we stepped onto the beach there, that the beach life was the life for us. We have spent years and years trying to just save to get here. And we were lucky enough to move here two years ago. We started out in an apartment but now we are in a small 1150 sq ft beach cottage right on the bay water. We had to downsize a bunch too but it was worth every single item we got rid of of! CONGRATS on your new home, new adventure, and new life! I am a blogger as well. Can't wait to read more about this journey of yours!!!!
    http://www.thesaltlifewife.blogspot.com
    Ps- we've been to Sanibel and I must say- it is amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete